Thursday, October 23, 2008

Do You Remember Hobbytex?

I was trawling through my junk mail yesterday when I came across an advertisement for Hobbytex! I haven't heard or seen anything of that since .... well the mid 80's!.

I used to go to Hobbytex classes on a Monday evening when I was 8 - 10 (ish). Part of me absolutely loved it, and part of me was intimidated by the need to produce art "exactly like the pictures".

Now I have checked Wiki, thinking I would add a link for the uninitiated but it doesn't appear there! Yes I have found something NOT on Wikipedia. But I have found the Hobbytex company page.

And I have learned that Hobbytex is an Australian company and they have been going since 1968? And rather than being something incredibly exotic (which I thought it was when I was little), it is "just" fabric paint in a ball-point tube! And they now have an extended range of products (we only did wallhangings) but the have tablecloths, scatter cushions, runners ... well you get the idea.

A forgotten piece of my childhood continues on. Just perfect :-)

4 comments:

diver said...

I thought every aussie kid grew up with Hobbytex? It's like vegemite for artists isn't it? Well, maybe not. Nowadays kids print fabric designs off their computers onto special inkjet paper and then just iron them on to T-shirts. My daughters do this - their art looks "exactly like the pictures". Sad isn't it.

pita-woman said...

Hadn't heard of it before, but if it's exclusively in Aussie, guess that would explain it. I've only attempted to paint or "write" on a t-shirt once and failed miserably, so that was one craft/hobby I quickly gave up on.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Ahhhh Hobbytex goes with Hollie Hobbie..i drew her on anything, I remember my mother went mad on Hobbeytex, each tube had a number...

Tracy Sorensen said...

Hi there,
I think Wikipedia needs a Hobbytex entry... I'm a Hobbytex gal from the 1970s. Anyway, thought you might like to see my YouTube video about Hobbytex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnVwS2T9zlg&feature=channel_page