Friday, October 10, 2008

My Name is Pearl and I am a Food Snob

I was listening to an interview about Food Snobs last night. Automatically I am thinking of those people who insist that high-style French cuisine is the only cuisine but as the interview progressed, I realize that I am one too (aaargh).

Example 1: one of my lovelies wanted a recipe for a chicken curry and my reaction was 'from what country' she answered, after asking me of her options to which I rattled off 10 or 12, 'India' and I asked ' which region'. She looked at me blankly. No I wasn't being a smart-arse, I was genuinely wondering what sort of curry she wants - especially as there are thousands of options available.

Example 2: At home I am a localvore (buying my food from a 100 mile radius), with the next preference being Buy Australian (counting food miles all the way). That also gets overlayed with ethical considerations including fair trade considerations, whether the product is organic, who will benefit from my purchase (say a region that is doing it tough, or a local owned-store v multinational) and, of course, whether the chocolate is slave free.

Example 3: I was looking at recipes and items like white balsamic vinegar are not only completely normal, but I have them in the pantry.

I also know I go on about real food v fake food (say bacon v a jar of bacon bits, or homemade mayonnaise v a jar of the fake stuff, or homemade pizza with weird toppings (like satay chicken) v the real original options) and blithely eliminate complaints of not prepared food like sweet and sour sauce with a "we make that ourselves" but I like to think that is based on cost and nutrition more than snobbery. Actually a night of sleeping on it makes me think it is about 50/50.

Okay I know when I am at work and doing the shopping the credo is "Value for Money" so we look at generics, specials and branded items. Every now and then I know I exclaim "I am not paying that!" to which my lovelies patiently explain it isn't my money we are spending. It just isn't the point - a rip off is a rip off! But there is hope, I can switch off between home standards and work standard.

So having acknowledged that I have crossed the line from foodie to food snob, please tell me I don't inflict that (too much) on those around me. Lie if you have to ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So laughed at this one Goddess... yes you are a dyed in the wool snob. Lol, I however am your equal opportunity diner...if it looks good, smells good I eat it...not the slightest interested in the ins and outs of where it come from who grew it, what region of some obscure little country I will never go to... (cept vegemite and pineapple)

Whispering Walls said...

Long live your tastes!

pita-woman said...

This one made me smile. I love your excentricities (sp?) where food is concerned, and your lack of fear at trying new things.
In some ways, I'm a bit of a food snob as well, perhaps not to the extent as yourself or over the same issues. But I know I frequently find myself shaking my head and tsk-tsking some of my friends and their cooking habits... or more precisely, lack there of.

Unknown said...

I was hoping that comments would come back and say "oh not you Pearl" but, well it is true. I will count my blessings that I am surrounded by people who appreciate my quirks for what they are lol

Unknown said...

i'm totally with abbey..."if it looks good, smells good I eat it"...oh and if there are no mushrooms! but if it's made by you pearl its an absolute bonus!

Unknown said...

You are so sweet kylie - with compliments like that I will cook for you anytime :-)