Saturday, October 4, 2008

Grandpa's Patch

The Wagin Woolarama started life as a local agricultural show but over the years became the biggest sheep show in the southern hemisphere.

My mom's family has a sheep stud so obviously they were very involved over the years - either as displaying sheep, judging sheep, cooking, sewing, hosting people, helping set up, pull down, committee work or all of the above - plus the many other chores that are associated with such a big event. Wagin has a population of about 2000 - 3000 and the event attracted (my guess) 50,000 so it wasn't just my family that wore many hats, everyone in the community pitched in big-time.

As the years progressed and Grandpa became less physically active, his pride and joy was cultivating a patch of grass that the sheep were displayed and judged on. Wagin is not known for a big water supply so it took a genuine 12 months of dedicated work to get the patch looking immaculate and green. Every time we went to visit, the tour of the town inevitably included a viewing of the lawn. And I must admit it was a mighty fine lawn - none of this kikuyu, cooch or any other the other tough species - this was a very fine grass, manicured to within an inch of its life and an incredible verdant green.

So you can imagine how much I giggled when I saw this photo (yes I have a photo for Nostaligic Saturday!!!) that Auntie Julie sent me this week (taken by Cousin Tim) - yes it is a delightful tribute to have a judging area named in Grandpa's honor but I am sure he is rolling in his grave to know the surface is artificial turf!!! Okay it is at the Royal Show (State Fair) in Perth so maybe it will be a slow roll but I am sure he is rolling nonetheless. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor man... all that work for grass... reminds me of my grandfather and now my father... retire and work on the perfect lawn...

congrats on ya 1st pic.. :)

Unknown said...

It had to happen eventually - finding a pic that is :-) Many thanks to Tim and A Julie of course :-)

Anonymous said...

This is a great story, and I love the irony of the artificial turf. :) Poor dear...if it were me I would not be too pleased, but I can see something similar happening :)

Unknown said...

I am chosing to reflect on the overall tribute Sue lol (and having a good giggle at the irony of it all)