Friday, October 17, 2008

Lemon Chicken with Warm Risoni Salad


In have been playing with new recipes. Actually if I cook just the ones I have ear-marked each day, then I have nearly a years worth ready to go - and that is only from my current magazines! Sigh ....

Anyway, this one is from the October 2008 Super Food Ideas magazine. It is marked as being "Lower GI", " Low Kilojoules", "Low Saturated Fat" and 2 1/2 serves of vegetables. The recipe is for four - I divided it down for me :-)

2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 lemon, ring finely grated, juiced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 chicken breast fillets, trimmed
1 C dried risoni
350 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/3 C finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves

Place garlic, lemon juice and half the oil in a shallow ceramic dish. Add chicken. Turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, if time permits.

Cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions until tender. Drain.

Meantime, heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 5 - 6 minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover. Stand for 5 minutes.

Add mushrooms to pan. Cook for 4 - 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in pasta, 2 teaspoons lemon rind and parsley. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes or until heated through. Serve chicken with warm risoni salad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple but Mmmmm, I like that you divided it down...makes it perfect for Bella and I

Unknown said...

Actually the recipe is still for four people, I just made one quarter of it :-)