Sunday, December 28, 2008

The "Save the Last Word" Project

The words on this list are at risk of being dropped from the next edition of the complete Collins English Dictionary because of their lack of public usage. Some public figures in the UK have 'adopted' some of them, to promote their usage in an attempt to save them. Stephen Fry has taken on 'fubsy', for example, and poet laureate Andrew Motion has adopted 'skirr'. Collins is very interested to get feedback on these words from Australia as well. What do you think?

abstergent: cleansing or scouring
agrestic: rural, rustic, unpolished, uncouth
apodeictic: unquestionably true by virtue of demonstration
caducity: perishableness, senility
caliginosity: dimness, darkness
compossible: possible in coesistence with something else
embrangle: to confuse or entangle
exuviate: to shed (a skin or similar outer covering)
fatidical: prophetic
fubsy: short and stout, squat
griseous: streaked or mixed with grey, somewhat grey
malison: a curse
mansuetude: gentleness or mildness
muliebrity: the condition of being a woman
niddering: cowardly
nitid: bright, glistening
olid: foul-smelling
oppugnant: combative, antagonistic, or contrary
periapt: a charm or amulet
recrement: waste matter, refuse, dross
reborant: tending to fortify or increase strength
skirr: a whirring or grating sound, as of the wings of birds in flight
vaticinate: to foretell, prophesy
vilipend: to treat or regard with contempt


MG's comment: I am going to go for: embrangle (I could 'embrangle' a few people just by using the word), fubsy (it sounds when describing myself than just plain "fat"), niddering (it just sounds great when I say it out aloud), nitid and olid :-)

Photo: "Words" by ssilence

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have already been vilipended (well, at least a little bit) about this but I am reborant and the value of this project will eventually be apodeitic :-)

rofl

diver said...

Haha clever girl. Personally I won't miss any of them. They're all recremental as far as I can tell.

Anonymous said...

You both crack me up... God dont say that, MG's already mourning the lost words... I'll have 'muliebrity' I can just see my mother moaning ... and a bit of 'vilipend' at work..ha ha

Anonymous said...

lol,so nice