Wednesday, December 3, 2008

First Day of New Job

I still have one shift left of my old job (Saturday) but I started my new job today - well the training component anyway.

There is a lot to learn but I am sure that it will all be okay - especially as they keep emphasizing that as "new staff" various concessions (as in speed of service and the like) are made and a WHOLE lotta support is available.

So, highlights of the day:
  • first impressions of the people who sat closest to me (there was 30 in the room so I didn't have time or opportunity to bond with everyone) seem like decent folk - fun, supportive and good value
  • there is a lunch room bigger than my house - with the best facilities I have ever seen (plenty of fridges, boiling water on tap, chilled water on tap, two microwaves, gorgeous courtyard, sandwich press, vending machine, coffee machine .... I could go on). And then, of course, there is the additional tv room, quiet room, internet facilities and reading corners
  • breaks are mandatory (two tea breaks and a lunch break) - and the computer reminds you that you need to go! And when I have a break, I am having a break - I can leave the building, I don't have to let my supervisor know where I will be going to while on my break, nor do I have to take my phone so they can contact me - it is a real break!
  • I don't have to put up with ANY form of abuse (including being sworn at) and I will NEVER be questioned if I terminate a call due to abuse, as in, no one will ever blame me, try and shame me, suggest by it was acceptable behavour on the part of the client, or that I should have just taken it due to their circumstances or background history
  • if there is any situation that upsets me (like being sworn at or threatened) I just need to notify my supervisor and then take a time out - even going to the quiet room and have space to myself is perfectly okay. Emotional vulnerability is recognized as being an unfortunate possibility and I will be fully supported without question
  • and the best bit, while everyone else turned up in a general outfit of black pants or skirts with white or pale blue shirts (two people wore a little bit of a duller red) I turned up swathed in hot pink and black. I wasn't trying to stand out, or make an impression but I think I did lol. And Abz, I wore black shoes not my hot pink crocs and I kept my shoes on from the minute that I left home to when I returned - my delicate tootsies have not touched crocs today.
So, while I really loved my last job - and I will really miss teaching my lovelies how to cook - I think this is an exciting opportunity that might just suit me very nicely :-)

Photo: "Stand Out." by MerciPourLeVinin-x

2 comments:

pita-woman said...

You may have mentioned it already, but either I missed that blog or it's completely slipped my mind... what exactly is your new job?

Unknown said...

congrats sweetie, its so nice to hear you taking on new challenges...x