Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Bats are Back


They aren't everyone's cup of tea but I so love sitting on the front porch and watching the bats fly over each evening. If there is a million of them, then there is certainly many hundreds of thousands. It is magnificent to see them rise in swirls and then head across the sky, right over my house. It takes over an hour for them all to be up and off. This photo is of the first bats flying off from last Thursday. I will keep trying to get a decent shot of the sky full of them.

6 comments:

Vickie said...

Is this your photo? That's wonderful that you can see them leaving their roost...trees or is their a cave nearby?

Unknown said...

this warms my heart, reminds me of a time we used to live beneath their flight path. those in our community used to complain no end, but I just loved watching them each evening, such a magical sight, thanks for sharing xo

Alison said...

Youngest daughter loves the photos on your blog. I hope you don't mind - She now asks to see "the bat lady's blog".

Anonymous said...

Would you believe that given the distance between our towns (long way) that we often see them heading over to yours.... go figure

pita-woman said...

Al I can say is "EEEK!"
No thanks. The occasional bat we get in the office is waaay more than I ever want to deal with.

Unknown said...

Yes it's my photo Vickie - they have a colony about 1/2 a mile from me - as the bat flies.

No problem Alison - but I much preferred being the 'strawberry lady' lol

I think it would be different if they were in my house Pita (although I did get a couple the first year I lived here) but these ones just fly over the house :-)