Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Years Party ???

I remember being young. I really do. I also remember the days not that long ago when alcohol played a big part in my life.

Fortunately I have always been blessed with good friends - or tried to be one. Even before it was popular there was a skipper or two to keep an eye on those who were planning to have a big night. Sometimes it was me, sometimes I had others looking after me.

I have just been talking to a young friend who is already partying with his mates. He was concerned about one of them and put him on the phone to speak with "Auntie Pearl". This young lad had, over the past five hours, drunk two bottles of spirits plus additional cans of alcohol. He admitted to vomitting but hadn't got to blackouts.

He assured me he had learnt how to look after himself - he had done the course at school - and that he would be okay. And no, he never indulged in illicit drugs

I progressively spoke to some of the other party goers and they all spoke of a guy who was lying down, spinning out and was continuously vomitting. I suggested that 1) they call the ambulance as it was possible that the guy in question had alcohol poisoning, or (at the very least) 2) someone who was playing skipper should keep an eye out for him.

They discussed it for a couple of minutes and then rang me back to tell me they were calling the ambulance.

This guy may not thank them tonight but he will thank them one day.

And I am so proud of the other young people who have never met me but were happy to talk to Auntie Pearl and take her advice - even though it could be considered uncool. I am very proud of my young friend who lead the charge.

I have offered to be "on call" for the rest of the night in case they need to call me.

Happy New Year.

2 comments:

pita-woman said...

I've never been much of a partier, and even less of a drinker. I'm not opposed to an occasional drink, but I'd much rather remain sober and about my facilities.
Good for you offering to be there for them.
Have a happy new year Mountain Girl!

Unknown said...

Many thanks Pita - and all the best for 2009 to you :-)