Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Big Day Out

I have just returned from a lovely day with Miss Abbey. Okay so we probaly started out with plans that filled a couple of hours but the day kept rolling along pleasantly so ... well what was the point of rushing lol

We started off at the markets - I love going to markets and while I was tempted by many items I ended up in the food section - as if anyone was surprised. I bought a pawpaw and chilli relish, homegrown tomatoes, homegrown cucumbers and, my favorite purchase, a bottle of oil.

The Hannaford Extra Virgin Olive Oil is grown at Taralga (some 750 km from home) and was being sold my the farmer himself. He was full of handy information about the soil the trees are grown on, as well as serving suggestions. He was accompanied by someone who could have been his son who supported the sales pitch admirably by looking cute and saying flattering things. It was great team work. But back to the oil. It tastes fresh. It tastes alive. Actually it tastes divine.

I was sold as soon as I first dunked my bread into the rich green liquid. As soon as it hit my tongue, my tastebuds began to dance in delight. There were two different sorts of dukkah (almond and chilli) which I was encouraged to try. I went for the chilli which was a great compliment for the oil but I have to admit this oil was so good it didn't need dressing up :-) I must have been drooling becuase the farmer told me to have another sample - and this was after I had purchased my bottle.
And the best bit, I have their phone number so I can order up more supplies when this bottle is gone.

3 comments:

EcoGrrl said...

love your blog. highly jealous of fresh olive oil in the cold of oregon january. sigh...

Unknown said...

Thanks for the compliment - if you email me your address I will send you a bottle :-)

Anonymous said...

I like your blog