Saturday, December 13, 2008

Garden Update

I have a new young man coming to do the work in my garden that I can't do (weeding for example) and he has got it back to an almost blank canvas - there are some perennials (like rosemary, sage and oregano) that are still moving along very nicely so they get to stay.
And may I say Mal is an absolute legend - how I got on before he came into my life is quite beyond me :-)

I planted 8 black tomato plants a few weeks ago in pots - they are the ones in the photos. As well as the tomatoes there is also basil in the big pot. It continues to amaze me that I plant them when they are only a few inches high and within four weeks they are well over two foot high. Oh joy!

Anyway, a couple of the plants have begun to flower so I thought I should post a picture now so I can post other photos as they come into fruit.

At Graham's suggestion (it is no wonder he is the best brother in the world) I have ordered seeds from The Lost Seed for the rest of the garden. They specialize in heirloom and older varieties of plants. Of course I have gone completely overboard - I have ordered 8 different sorts of tomatoes along with 3 types of basil, two sorts of parsley and a couple of different sorts of dill. All to go in about 2 meters square lol. I think I will need to get more pots. And that isn't to mention that I was thinking about putting in some corn and some more mint :-)

Anyway, you can see from the photo that my tomatoes are being attacked a little. I was thinking about hitting them with tomato powder but have decided on more seaweed solution to give them energy and nutrition and hope for the best. That will also help with their color. I do try to be as organic as possible which does mean conceding some of the crop to the other living things of this world :-)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, you are a pretty good gardener there ms pearl :) ours is starting to come together, but i can't post pics at the moment, so you will just have to believe me...oh i wanted to ask you to... do you use figs? if you don't we won't bother netting the tree, but there's a fair bit of fruit coming on...just let me know :)you eat fungus, so i figured you would eat figs too...lmao..oh i crack myself up

Unknown said...

Crack up all you want Miss K! I would rank my love of figs higher than my love of asparagus so I will beg and crawl and kiss your feet for even one :-)

Unknown said...

And just to translate for other Musings readers, by "fungus" Miss K means "mushrooms" ... yes she has an aversion in case you didn't notice lol

Anonymous said...

Oi... abbey eats figs by the bucket full... what the!

Unknown said...

She asked me first :-p rofl

Unknown said...

sshhh..there's four bloody trees of them, you can have two each! oh and by the way...i ate asparagus on monday nioght folks, Pearl has me converted!!! I'm still steering clear of fungus though...lol

Indigo-Daisy said...

What a beautiful garden and how nice to see such green when we are experiencing snow in Vegas, a city that should not be having snow.