Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Cricket, Turkey and Churchill

I was speaking to a middle aged gentleman about the cricket - he was watching the Test between South Africa and Australia and updating me on the scores as we processed his business. We agreed that Hayden and Lee won't be back in the Australia side. We re-arranged the team with players of our choosing. We solved the mystery of Australian cricket. Then another Aussie wicket fell - doh!

A few more work related questions and the conversation moved to travel - there is a big lottery draw this weekend. My gentleman was telling me that he would take me to Lords (the hallowed home of cricket) to watch a Test when he won. I laughed and suggested we thrown in a West Indies One Day Tour as well. As much as I hate the tropics it is a dream of mine. He agreed with a smile in his voice.

Being an obvious traveller (where I am not ...yet) I asked him his favorite destination. "Turkey" was the reply. I asked whether it was the people, the culture, the food or something else that made it so special. He said "all of them as well as the landscape".

He had been to Gallipoli 3 or 4 times- not for a service but during the quieter times of the year. Conversation moved to the worthiness (or otherwise) of Churchill's leadership and legacy.

He quoted Churchill's line when a visitor to Parliament pointed out that he was drunk "Yes ma'am but you are ugly. In the morning I will be sober. What will you do?"

We both laughed.

And that corresponded with the conclusion of the gentleman's business and the end of the conversation.




Photo: "telephone telephone" by lady-bug

3 comments:

diver said...

Excellent tale MG, that was fine bantering indeed.

Indigo-Daisy said...

How cool is that MG! I love discovering things about people. Everyone has a story and it is so fun to see them come out.

Unknown said...

Thanks folks - I must admit they are real highlights for me. Admittedly most people just want to conduct their business but you go get the occassional jewel