Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Medicans San Frontiere

It is time to find another charity to support and, after extensive research (gotta love the net), I have decided to pick Medicans San Frontiere (MSF).

There are a phenomenal range of charities out there - from the place that I work to places that build houses or sponsor children or provide food or, well pretty much everything actually. And then you can choose to have a very local group, an Australian group, a worldwide organisation, or one that works in specific countries. You can choose religious or secular organisations. The opportunities are incredible and to choose on over all other options was difficult.

But I did it.

I chose MSF because they are a very credible organisation (my money will actually do something rather than being challenged into administration or whatever), they are non-judgmental on who they help, they can do stuff that I can't, they go wherever there is a need and they also advocate for those that they are helping. For eight weeks worth of consideration that sounds really cliched but it works for me.

2 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

baby did you know they also have an Australian arm. Your right, brilliant work done by these men and women. I looked at them myself but at the time they had been pulled out of Iraq (rightly so for their safety)...
and when i 1st started looking at what i could do with some cash i was blown away by the choice...good on u for trying to make a difference

Unknown said...

totally agree, while at the moment my chosen charity to donate money to is trying to feed three boys, I have always volunteered my time, and its about time I looked at that again and perhaps fostering kids. I am thinking at the moment I'd like to do something with the local African community, just not sure what yet...