Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Maya and Books

Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him. Maya Angelou
I love books. I always have. I read voraciously. I read 'most anything I can get my hands on. In a good week, I will read 4 books. In an great week I will read 4 books and add them to my little library.

It is with great joy that GM and I swap books - she extends my reading range and introduces me to new authors I would never have considered on my own.

It was with heart-bursting joy that some of the young people I work with asked if they could borrow books from me. It gives me no greater pleasure to see them trying to fit in a chapter between doing other bits and pieces of the household routine. Somehow knowing the next generation skill loves reading gives me hope for the future.

I arrived in NSW with 3 'regular' books and 2 cook books. I have had to leave the rest of my 1000+ in storage. I am now proud that in 18 months I have over 100 cook books and 100 other books. And the collection gets updated every week.

1 comment:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

We share the dream, of wall-to-wall bookshelves, & i want one of those little natty ladders that go to the top shelf, a big single sofa to curl in, and a light to read by. I love books and love that we share that...the only I'm not into are historical romances, with heaving boosoms and shaking thighs,please...
I seem to of inherited a love of biographies from my mother...oh escapism...