Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Yah! I Am Not the Only One :-)

Yes I have found someone else who eats local - well took up the challenge for a month anyway. ABC reporter Kim Honan has even diaried her experience (long live the ABC) :-)

So what have I learned from this trail blazer - lots. Firstly I have been calculating on 100 km but I can actually look at 100 miles (160 km) so that gives me a couple of more options that I has sort of been considering - like a cheese factory 154 km from home that makes a regualr cheddar. Secondly she has mentioned a number of suppliers that I can follow up with including a chicken producer based near Stuart's Point and a Dorrigo yogurt. Thirdly, and most improtantly, this CAN be done. Yes it takes work but it is possible.

Other considerations raised by Kim are :
  • The 90% rule. If I get it right 90% of the time is that okay? It would certainly be helpful for buying rice, bread and legumes. If I am going to do this "forever" as opposed for just a set-period challenge, it would probably be practical but how much of the integrity of the process if compromised....
  • Many local producers use ingredients from outside the 100 mile zone due to unavailablity of the produce locally. And example was a honey flavored yogurt - the yogurt was all local but the honey wasn't. The way around this would be to apply the 90% rule but I am not totally sold on that yet.
  • Yes you have to ask a million questions about whether ingredients are "really" local. It gets tiring and some people get an attitude. Many folks really don't have a clue, or care.
I do have an update on sourcing local produce but as I have a few more leads now, I will save that for another post....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks samurr and welcome to the Musings :-)