Friday, February 1, 2008

New Lesson in Life

My back is still really quite sore - and I have had some increasingly 'bad' days recently - but I am learning a valuable lesson: I am able to ask for help.

It is one of those things I have struggled with all of my life and I am not sure whether it is pride, circumstance, pig-headedness or a combination of all three but there you go. I will do most anything for anyone but hate asking for help at the best of times.

So, this week I have asked for help to get my garden in order (no prob). I have asked for help to bring in the groceries for work (no prob). I have asked for help in carrying my groceries to the car (no prob).

The world has not collapsed and folks are very generous in lending a hand.

It hasn't taken the pain away, but it is certainly not getting any worse and I feel like I have just discovered the secret to life :-)

9 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Dear MG...sos help for garden in order...my back is fine but my garden is a pickle...

glad you taking it easy...xx

Unknown said...

it's both pride and stubborness why I rarely ask for help,lol!!

Hope your pain eases ASAP :)

Unknown said...

take it easy girl and look after yourself please, let me know if there's anything i can do 4 u xo

pita-woman said...

Oh gosh, you sound EXACTLY like me!! It's rare I ask for help, I think somewhere in our mind it shows a sign of weakness & we want to avoid appearing weak. Well duh!, of course pain makes us weak.
I've had horrible back problems; sciatica, herniated L4 disc, and whatnot. I fully sympathize with your plight!
Lot's of physical therapy, trips to the chiropractor, and a couple of epidurals have helped me immensely!!

Tex's Missus said...

Yep, we are a good bunch aren't we ? I too rarely ask for help, then get upset when I'm unwell and no-one bothers to help out...my bad. People tend to think that I can take care of myself and those who are comfortable with asking for help, would probably be thinking, oh well, if she wanted help, she'd ask :) You have given me the kick in the bum I need to actually ask today - this DVT thing has really rocked me and without husband or family in this state, I am really struggling. I resolve to pick up the phone today and ask for help - thanks MG !

Anonymous said...

It takes practise, but asking for help when needed can make life so much more enjoyable :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I do understand. Sometimes it is very difficult to ask for help, even when you know people would be only too happy to do so. Hope you feel better and better.

Unknown said...

Now I have worked out it isn't just me, is asking for help just a 'womens' thing or just an 'afflication' of a certain character type?

Anonymous said...

A bit of both I think ;)