Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Age of Miracles

Just been watching "Women's Murder Club" on tv and I saw the MOST amazing thing - so amazing I just had to run to the computer and blog it.

One of the lead characters (second from right) had a date with an African American man. No he wasn't a psychopath or any other form of social misfit - in fact his character was that of an EMT who had just done a rescue of some sort. No he wasn't married or pimping around. No mention was made of his brown-ness and her whiteness.

And for anyone who thinks I have lost my mind in thinking this is a big thing, I ask you to think of other examples of interracial dating in prime time American television when the race wasn't a part of the storyline, there wasn't use of stereotypes and the woman is white. Yes there have been instances of women of Hispanic or Asian appearance dating African Americans but a white woman! English and European television has portrayed mixed race couples for years so those shows don't count.

Could it be possible that in the 21st century, American television is finally beginning to really portray social norms?

4 comments:

pita-woman said...

Let's not forget "The Jeffersons" of the '70's... their upstairs neighbors, Tom & Helen. They were the first inter-racial couple I ever knew of, fictional or otherwise.

Unknown said...

Oh I forgot about them! Thanks for the reminder Pita :-)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I changed the channel simply because the show looked so fake, plastic and American! Ooops.

Unknown said...

I am not pretending this was quality tv Anony, more like how to fill in an hour where you don't have to think to much :-)