Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Spring is springing

The seasons are changing. The days are warm and sunny. This chill has gone out of the night air. The air smells of hay and jasmine. The bats are beginning to get out a bit more (yes I have 'messages' on my car to prove they are out and about).

I think autumn is my favorite season, followed by winter and then spring. And yes I will try every year to find something positive about summer (despite the fact I may have melted on the lounge room floor).

Anyway, this is the view from the porch tonight. Anytime now I will have photos of the bats to share. And for those who are wondering what I am going on about, all will be revealed in due course :-)

As much as I love winter: the snuggling in the cool weather, the comfort food, the frosty mornings, spring has its benefits. My garden will truly begin to flourish, it will be asparagus season, the light will highlight new vistas, the bird calls will grow more vocal, the bats will be out.

It will also mark my nearly-first anniversary at this house. Sometimes I think I have already been here forever - and will be here for another lifetime. That is unusual if not unheard of for me. I am almost always looking forward to the next move. But here I have found a space that envelopes me, I have found my home.

3 comments:

Rob, Tiina, Loz, Zak & Anya said...

I'm not sure I totally understand the concept of summer down under. So the months of September through February are warm/hot - yet the months of July and August are winter?

So, surely Winter must be huntin' season for those damn British tourists? ;)

Unknown said...

And to complicate things even more, 'winter' here on the east coast is cold and dry - it rains for the rest of the year while it hits 100 degrees with a mugginess level to match :-)

Winter over here sees the British tourists at the beach every day - as soon as it hits 18 C - no joke!

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

I remember when we moved into the house we are in now..the furniture hadnt been unpacked, but we lit a fire and the 3 off us slept on a mattress in front of it...I had the same feeling,total security, this is my space, my home...