Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bottersnikes & Gumbles


When I was a child I had the immense joy of helping out in the school library. Not only did this give me additional borrowing privileges, it also gave me the opportunity to discover works that otherwise may have by-passed my inquiring mind.

One of my biggest joys was SA Wakefield's "Bottersnikes and Gumbles" - of the heavenly joy of walking into this charming and funny world.

For some time it was apparent that I was the only person on the face of the planet who read this book. How do I know this, a perpetual survey of friends and families. I have never even found someone who has heard of this magical offering!

It took me until I was about 32 to actually find a copy (secondhand shop 50c). Now admittedly I read it and re-read it until I could almost quote it word for word so decided that it would be a good time to 'loan' (yes I wanted it back but it could be sometime in the next 10 - 20 years) it to some very special young people in my life. All was wonderful in my world.

Once I discovered E-bay, I decided to live on the wild side and perhaps buy myself a copy of this (lets face it my loan isn't really a loan and I can think of no better place for the book to live). Imagine my surprise when I discovered that they sell for about $70 each ($30 was the lowest I have seen) - and there is a somewhat continuous trickle available in both Australia and England.

Part of me danced with sheer joy in that I was obviously not alone in my passion for this Australian classic, part of me wished I was alone again for then the price would drop back to 50c, and the other part of me wonders why they don't re-print this book! I have been watching for 2 years now and the price really doesn't vary too much.

Obviously if there were to be a re-print it, it would have to look exactly the same as the original edition ... and it should smell the same .... and the pages should have that slight yellowing .... That's not too much to ask at all :-)

5 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Am on a mission to find it baby..u have me intrigued...watch out vinnies

Unknown said...

smiles..I have my mum on the case for you, she's an op shop guru, never seen anyone bargain hunt like her!

Unknown said...

oh, and my favourite was Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes..oh and Dr Suess' Diggingest Dog, Fish out of Water...will dig them out tonight and read with Joshie, thanks for the prompt :)

sally said...

It made me really happy to read this blog. Sydney Alexander Wakefield is my Grandad, I'm so pleased to see people still appreciate his stories. Have you also read "gumbles on guard" , "gumbles in summer" and "gumbles in trouble"?

Unknown said...

I had and read Bottersiknes and Gumbles in the 1970s in Malaysia, but when I looked for it againin the 1990s, my parents had given it away. Since then I've enquired at 2nd hand bookshops unsuccessfully, but today, have gone and bought 3 out of the 4 in the series online, so I can introduce them to my kids. Thank your grandad Sally for all the pleasure he's brought to so many people over the years. Definitely get them republished, I'm sure there's plenty more royalties in it.