Thursday, August 23, 2007

Happy Birthday Rob

Some time ago in the dawn of time I met Rob. Well 'met' might be incorrect because Rob was my pen friend. Rob lived in the UK and had 'special' version of UK humor which somehow correlated to mine - and a passion for Guinness :-) It was obviously a match made in heaven!

So over the next few of years we wrote, we phoned, he sent me funny faxes and weird 'presents' from a dumpster diving website that I can no longer locate (which is probably a good thing for the world at large) and a clock with rotating penguins.

And then, as I moved and he moved and email addresses changed me lost contact. I did try over the next few years to find an email address that might work but as his name is not uncommon and he had been known to switch continents periodically. That was until last October when I received

Hi

I’m trying to locate (me) who I was in contact with
between 1996 and 1999 – we were email buddies.

Rae – if this is you, cast your mind back to Rob from England !

Please forgive me if I’ve got the wrong email address.

Thanks

Rob

Yes! He was back!!!!! And this time he has a gorgeous wife and three kids to share with me! There was furious emailing, a Meat Loaf cd (now you know why he is really so important to me!) and the discovery on my part of the joys of Skye. Since then he has jumped continents again - yes I am coming to visit - and continues to bring a smile to my life every I time I get the weekly newsletter.

And today is his birthday. So happy birthday my friend - thank you for your friendship over all of these years. Thank you for sharing your family with me. Thank you for finding me again. Thank you for your humor. Thank you for Meat Loaf. Thank you for being you. May this be your best birthday of all and may you party like its 1999.


4 comments:

Rob, Tiina, Loz, Zak & Anya said...

Awwh Rae! You're wonderful. Thank you so much for your kind words. I knew back in the '90s when I found you that I found someone very special. You're a true friend; I wish you were here in Florida.. I'd buy you a zillion guinnesses (what do you call plural Guinness's - Guinnii?).

When you make it over here try to coincide with a meat loaf concert. If you can't do that, then I'll erm, bake you a meat loaf instead.

Anyone that knows Rae knows how wonderful she is. We're all very lucky to know such a wonderful person..

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Happpy Birthday Rob!! I love the internet...An R. what a conincidence...I have a Rob!...we've never met but on the net while away the hours yakking...and yes Rob I no hhow lucky I am to have a Rae...x

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

and pity that cakes not real...cause fair dinkum she can cook.

Unknown said...

Totally agree Rob, I'm very lucky to have met Rae too. She has taught me so much, not just about food and looking after our mother earth, but about generosity of spirit and self awareness, I love Rae dearly. I have a Rob too, but I gave birth to him!!!