Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Lives of Others

I went and saw this movie yesterday. It blew me away! It was so refreshing to see a non-American-styled movie. Initially I wasn't sure I actually enjoyed it but I was challenged and inspired. I was taken on an emotional roller coaster that left me questioning my personal integrity if my situation was reversed with any of the three main characters. We had many discussions on the situations and issues that it raised.

I have been trying to put into words a 'review' that I could share here but keep coming up short. Instead, I give you the comments from the The ABC's movie show:

...The Lives Of Others is set in 1984 in East Berlin where the Stasi, or Secret Police were all powerful.

A glamorous couple, playwright Georg Dreyman, (SEBASTIAN KOCH) and actress Christa-Maria Sieland, (MARTINA GEDECK), come under suspicion.

Hauptmann Gerd Wiesler, (ULRICH MUEHE) is assigned to monitor every aspect of their lives. Christa, afraid she will not be allowed to act in future, falls prey to a government minister.

But gradually the spy, Wiesler, becomes entranced by the lives he’s monitoring from the attic and tries to protect them both.

This is most accomplished filmmaking. And it’s brave.

There is a point at which the film could end but von Donnersmarck adds a very moving coda that is so compassionate and cathartic.

He blends the political thriller with a very human story that is ultimately about the seductive nature of decency, honour and art.

Ulrich Muehe won best actor for his role in this in Germany and deservedly, he is astonishingly good and he’s surrounded by a very solid cast.

It’s a complete whole, this film, every ingredient, music, cinematography, design comes together splendidly.
I would highly recommend this movie to everyone but please don't expect some light froth and bubble.

No comments: