Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Heros

How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!

Yes it is my latest Maya quote and it has got me thinking about what a hero really is. Is it just the tough but sexy underpant clad guy fighting for truth and justice and the American way. Is it the sporting star that can run faster, jump higher, or fight harder than the competition. Or maybe even a singer or actor that leads their field in one way or another.

None of these seem to apply to me at this point in life so I wonder what makes a hero for me - or, to be even more specific, who are my heroes. Do I even have heroes?

I admire many people, maybe not for their entire being but certainly for facets of their personality - I admire Bob Brown (Green's Senator) for his tenacity in sticking up for his beliefs, I admire Mother Theresa or doing what we all should but most of us don't, I admire Alexander McCall Smith for his ability to create worlds in which I feel passionately a part of, I admire Clive James for hit wit and his brilliance, I admire Martin Luther King for challenging us all to assess people on the content of their character and not the color of their skin (or where they come from, or what religion they follow, or whether they are gay or straight or somewhere in between, or how much money they have, or any of the other prejudices we adopt), I admire the Dalai Lama who always appears to smile and love and be at peace - and be willing to share all three ....

And then there are all of the heroes that I have no idea of their names - those that are the glue to our communities - those who visit the lonely or the ill, those who open their homes and hearts to children who need a safe place, those who clean our streets and our toilets, those that volunteer for Scouts or Rotary or Lions and a million of other worthy organisations, those that commit time to work in charity shops or soup kitchens or help lines, you get the idea.

How amazing to live on a planet where I am not only surrounded by heroes, but I also have the opportunity to participate in their journeys - big and small, famous and discreet, those that touch millions and those that help just one other - but knowing they are all important and they each help our world go round.


2 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Now you've got me thinking...my heros? for me, my heros make change. You are right, there are those who do it publically, on a grand scale, then there are those, that just get on with it in their own quiet way...mmmm this post has me thinking..ta for that...g

Unknown said...

you have me thinking as well, my heroes change all the time, mainly around things I see and feel about people, but everlasting hero has been my mum, might blog that! Thanks for the thoughts, Maya is fantabulous I agree...you have the best taste Rae!