Monday, August 27, 2007

Fresh Pasta and Philosophy

I love food.

Admittedly not always to eat it but to cook it - to experiment with flavorings, to try new ingredients, to produce the best. I love developing recipes. I love showing newbies how to get started. I love sharing new ideas with others. I love inspiring a passion in others for good food that feeds the soul and is not just a source of fuel. I love creating masterpieces on a budget. I love the feel of kneading or cutting. I love the smell as the flavors blend and develop. I love creating something worthy of a photo. I love lying in bed at night formulating new concoctions and then awakening and starting. One of my main reasons for going vegetarian was to expand my repertoire of recipes and skills. Ok I am starting to ramble but you get the idea.

I had been planing for days to make my pea and haloumi fritters for dinner last night (I was at work and the rest of the house was having roast lamb). And then, in one of those moments of inspiration, I changed my mind and decided to make pasta instead. I vaguely recall saying something about showing them (the residents) how to do it. Anyway...

I made pasta (yes from scratch). I made a lemon and nutmeg sauce to go with it. I served it with a big green salad. Oh my gosh .... I don't usually get overly fussy about the stuff I cook because there is always something I could change or do better, but this was absolutely perfect. I should have taken a photo :-)

So I know where to go next time I want to cook it (because I just made it up as I went along), this is what I did. I made pasta (1/2 C flour plus one egg per person). I roll mine out about 1 mm thicker than it is meant to be - I find the sauce sticks better - but really it is just personal preference. Anyway, the sauce was the grated rind of 1 1/2 lemons; the juice of two lemons; 1/2 fresh grated nutmeg; 1/2 onion, finely chopped; 1 and a bit cloves of garlic, crushed; about 1 T sour cream and about the same of freshly grated Parmesan. That is for one piggy person or two regular people.

3 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Baby I am lifting this receipe as i write...keep em coming...u r my link to my inner foodie...x

Unknown said...

and even though i can't eat this, i can almost smell the lemons, you arew truly a divine foodie, no-one has succeeded in making tofu that I'll eat like you, can't wait til after surgery to try some of your recipes...mmm...agree with gale, keep em coming!

Anonymous said...

MMM Food ahhh. You love cooking I love eating good food (and especially yummy food) - when are you coming back to Perth? wouldnt mind some of this... (from Neet)