Saturday, August 11, 2007

Scrabble & Friends (or Ode to GW)

Moving to the other side of the continent had its challenges - one of the main ones that effected me last year was a bit of loneliness. Lets face it I hadn't found a job at that time, was flat broke and live 25 minutes out town.

At that time one of the most awesome friends I have ever had sent me a "surprise" - something to keep me company on the lonely winter nights. Now admittedly I did consider, for at least one second, that it might be a cat because in some very twisted way that might appear funny (oh yes, I have a burning passion for a lot of things but cats are a long way from the top of the list) but figured the logistics would be burdensome. So I waited patiently.

What my present was was a computer Scrabble game. Now I have received some great gifts of varying costs in my life but never I have I received something so incredibly valuable to me. I am a Scrabble nut and when you are lacking in new friends, it is one of the things I was really missing. I actually cried deep and hard - cried that my friend knew me so well and had put so much thought into sending this little relief package to me.

I think of this now because I still play Scrabble most every day .... well actually I aim for 5 games a day. And every time I play I think of GW and what her friendship means to me.

Thankyou my sister

2 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Lucki you, Bell & I realised this week Josef had stolen ours (well his but possession is 9/10ths)I love g/f's, one kind gesture and u have memories for life.(although I do share your thoughts on cats)...x

Unknown said...

We have a long history in our family of playing games after dinner, especially when Pop comes round, Pop's can't say no to a game of uno!!!

When kids were younger, and Mum had foster kids the same age, the only game that was off bounds was monopoly, because it always ended in a brawl way after bedtime! Some of our main favourites over the years have been cranium and guess who when the kids were younger. The current fad is deal or no deal, which has to be the lamest game ever made!

We also used to play a game where we had cards made up and there were two piles, one with body parts and one with colours, and the kids would race to not be the last one whose bum was touching something yellow, or whose little finger was resting on something pink!!

A big wake up call has been of recent times where Rob and Josh play the same game on the Internet, and meet in the virtual world to spend time together, times they are a changing...

Oh what fun, thanks for the memories, and this is that long that I should have put it in my blog instead of your comments!

PS..I won't challenge you to a scrabble game, according to my brothers I cheat, but they are just sore losers of course!