Monday, September 14, 2009

Whaling Legacy

I have memories as a child of going to a whaling station where they were cutting up "the catch". Or at least I thought I had memories of it. Somewhere along the line I got the idea that commercial whaling in Australia had closed down before I was born. That wasn't too big of a deal - I just rationalised that I must have seen a movie when I was young. The problem with that idea was that I remember the smell and whenever I hear or see of stories about whaling the smell comes back as part of the memory.

It is with mixed feelings that I discovered that the whaling station in question closed in 1978. So my memory is validated (which is good) and then again, my memory is validated (which is not so good).
I am so very glad that era is over. Long may they swim free.

3 comments:

Sammi said...

i want to come back as a whale in my next life.
so i have a 10 foot long tongue and can breathe through my head.
;)

Unknown said...

I so love the way you see life :-)

Unknown said...

lol sammi!