Sunday, September 6, 2009

Kitchen Kitsch

I love cook books of all shapes and sizes but I hold a special place in my heart for kitschy books. I know I am not alone in this - Nigella featured a book with Elvis's recipe for Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich at one point.

Now the way to determine whether a book is worthy of the category is that it must make you laugh, cringe ... and then contemplate having a go at one or two of the recipes.

But I think I now might have the ultimate in kitsch books - "What's Cooking at Twitty City" by Conway Twitty's wife Mickey Twitty. This features recipes, photos (including their house 'Twitty City' and their buses "Twitty Bird One' and 'Twitty Brd Two'), a bit of family history and an explanation of who's favorite each recipe was.
My own piece of heaven :-)

No comments: