Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hallowe'en 2008

Last night was the first time I have ever had trick and treaters at my door. As it had never happened before I was unprepared but that wasn't a problem.

It started at about 5.30 pm with a group of 12 - 13 years olds - immaculately presented in their various costumes that politely came to the door and announced "trick or treat". I explained myself and they very politely continued on - without even offering a trick. I was also suitably impressed that they were accompanied by an adult who respectfully waited on the pavement for them.

Trick or Treat is something that is progressively catching on in Australia - and was completely unheard of when I was a kid. When I first considered it, it amazed me that parents would let their kids go to the doors of strangers asking for candy. It goes against every safety message that parents pass on to their offspring! You can understand why then I was so impressed with this first group.

The second group came by about 20 minutes later (no parent this time) and they did ask me (not demand) if they could trick me. "Go ahead" I said. So junior number two pressed my door bell really hard (I think he was trying to get it stuck in the "on" position). Unfortunately my doorbell doesn't work so the trick was on him but we all had a bit of a giggle.

The next five groups progressively continued on - not as polite as the first two - we had passed on from kids having fun to teens out for a lark. By this time though it was dark, the kids were older - 13 - 16 - and there was no adult around hmmmm. But, despite my complaint of lack of peace and quiet on a Friday evening, it was all fine.

The last group came by at 9.30 pm, yes 9.30 pm. They were giving the appearance of being drunk. They were teenage girls - maybe 14 - 15. I heard them yahoo-ing up the street so when they banged I didn't even open the door. Not that it mattered, they appeared to be knocking on everyone's door, screaming out "trick or treat" and then running away before anyone came to answer the knock.

You know, if the first six groups continue as they have started, this tradition might even catch on. If the yahoos take over it will ruin it for everyone.

And parents, please make sure your kids only visit people they know (or you know), or go with them.

4 comments:

diver said...

A generous assessment MG, though by the 6th Group I was thinking to myself 'Invasion of Privacy' and worrying about the possibility of institutionalising a night of vandalism and cruelty to animals and people.

pita-woman said...

Gee, sounds like you definitely had more trick/treaters than we did. It seems to be a holiday that is dying out in the USA, at least, it's not done the way it was when we were growing up.
I've got a blog to do on our Halloween as well.

Vickie said...

"Trick or Treat" and Halloween festivities have always been so much a part of my life in US of A, TN, that I was surprised to read your experience. Enjoyed knowing a different perspective. Here we've gone from the carefree fun of my youth, to mean-spirited problems and then better parent supervision and caution so that the experience of Halloween is back to being fun again for most.

When special days stay safe and fun for kids, they are great family activities.

Unknown said...

It is a funny sort of thing - being something so new to us - and, obviously from these comments, a changing history (for better or worse) in the US. Be interesting to see how it all develops in a few years.

And yes diver, that thought applied to me too. I am wondering if there should be some sort of sign - say leaving the outdoor light on if T'n'Ters are welcome or leaving it off it the owners don't want to be disturbed, or don't celebrate the holiday.