Friday, November 28, 2008

New Clothes

My new job as a different dress code to my existing one - they require "business clothes" to be exact. I have a heap of suits but as we are heading into an Australian summer, I am guessing it will be a few months before I need to pull them out of the wardrobe. So it meant doing one of my least favorite activities: clothes shopping.

I usually deal with this trial by just picking up a couple of new pairs of pants, or sarong tops each year - total time involved: about 3 minutes, total cost $40. Add another pair of crocs and I am set. Not bad for a year's clothes shopping. And if you work night shifts, well it is practical too :-)

That plan wasn't going to get me out of this one though. So I went to one of the local boutiques and over $600 and 30 minutes later I have the basics of a new wardrobe - 4 shirts and a pair of pants. I already have a few pairs of pants from the suits that I can wear. I have NEVER spent so much money on clothes - each item was over $100 which would normally make me fall over in a heap even contemplating the possibility.

Maybe it was because each item was lovingly wrapped on tissue paper and placed in a "proper" shopping bag (like you see in the movies) that made it feel better. Maybe it was the knowledge that I have had such a good run over the past 6 or 7 years and I knew it wouldn't last forever. Maybe it was a concession that going back into the "real" world had a price.

In any case, I shall look very presentable for my new job.

Now I just need to figure out how to "do" my hair and contemplate whether I need to wear make-up .... oh, and find something for my feet that aren't crocs lol

1 comment:

diver said...

Yeah, I do that : three minutes and $40 per year. I buy King Gee and Yakka but only when they're on special lol. That hard cotton work wear just lasts and lasts.

Different for ladies I know I know ... did you enjoy that splurge?