Thursday, November 13, 2008

In Da Hood - D Sistahood

I have been counting my blessings overnight and my female friends really stand out as being intrinsic to my me-ness, my happiness.

I need to say up front that I can also add my male friends, my brother and father, living in my version of heaven, being alive, painting and cooking, and a heap of other things (the list got rather long) but the sistas have featured heavily lately.

Take Miss Weasley who has sent me yet another care package - more recipes and some articles on diabetes. It has been nearly a year since I saw her in person but somehow it doesn't seem to matter.

Miss Kylie and Miss Abbey make me laugh, hold me up when I am feeling down, share their lives, their joys, their pain and their fears.

Miss Delma has been my friend and mentor since we met in 1987 - and she continues in both roles deeper as each year passes.

My precious Auntie Julie provides the family link and the advice I need.

All five women share their families with me. All five women tell me what I need to hear, with gentleness and compassion, rather than what I want to hear. All five women help make me who I am.

Yes I am truly blessed.

Art: "Sunset Boogie" by Felicia Hunt

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good god woman...I dont tell ya things with gentleness and compassion!...I blunder along and through in a few mmmm's... ah love ya chick...

would rather one from the sister hood than 50 'colleages' any day...hey we could get 'da sister's' tattoos ...think Miss K will be in it? mind you I think she is a skin virgin...lol

Unknown said...

Now that is a definite - and the skin virgin will definitely have to be a part! How very exciting - I would even get a tattoo that wasn't on my feet :-)
Are you thinking about a specific location?

Unknown said...

And you do speak with tenderness and compassion - even if you don't know it :-)

Unknown said...

haha..u pair crack me up...lol...

Unknown said...

Hey Abz, she may laugh at us but she didn't say no :-) What do you say Miss K - are you ready to be marked?