Friday, November 7, 2008

Resolution

It came to me this afternoon - I will find my new bear when I get to the States.

Okay, to explain, my poor Wilkie bear (named by John after our own Kim Wilkie) is suffering from too much love and isn't really repairable. I decided some months ago that I would need to start keeping an eye out for my first post-John bear. Bit of an emotional thing and I have found no contenders - or even bears that are in the ball-park. BUT if I get my new bear in America I don't need to traumatize Wilkie with the travel process AND I get to connect him to friends and travel memories, and not just an absence of my John.

Photo: "Childhood Memories" by Sharon Hammond

8 comments:

pita-woman said...

You're coming to the states?... United States?
When is this trip taking place, and what part(s) are you visiting?

Unknown said...

Yes the trip is finally happening - I am going to Dallas and Orlando which should be quite exciting. And in case the combination of those cities for a first time visitor strikes you as odd (as it has for others) my Miss Weasley lives in Dallas and the lovely Rob and his family (my penfriend for the past 12-ish years)
live in Orlando. Heading off at the end of January/beginning of February - dates not quite confirmed yet :-)

pita-woman said...

Aw shucks! Wish you were coming a little further north (or I lived further south). I'd love to meet you in person. But both places are a long drive from Kentucky.

Unknown said...

What do you call a long drive?

pita-woman said...

16 hours, give or take.

Unknown said...

That is realistic - let me have a look at schedules - maybe I could swing by on my way to Florida (yes I realize that is a big swing - in the opposite direction) but a bus ride would let me see a bit more of the countryside - and take some more photos.

Jessica the Minx said...

Id love to travel but the timings not for me at the moment... cant wait to see your bear...

Unknown said...

well to go to the supermarket 16 hours would be a long drive but as I will have my tourist hat on - and I will be sitting on a Greyhound - 16 hours is fine.

You are talking to a girl that used to do a Burger King run on Sundays for her friends - 4 hours each way :-) Our town didn't have Burger King, I was in my early 20s and it was a once a fortnight things :-)

And in my days of youth, 1000km round trip to go to a party or a function was nothing a very regular occurrence!

Sydney is 5+ hours away and I have done two days trips there lol

Australia is a big country so travel time becomes very relative :-)