Saturday, January 17, 2009

Vale John Mortimer

It is with great sadness that I heard of the passing of the inimitable John Mortimer - probably best known for the creation of the cantankerous Rumpole of the Bailey, played by the legendary Australian Leo McKern.

I have spent many pleasant hours with Horace Rumpole, his chamer colleagues and the fearful "She Who Must be
Obeyed" (Horace's long suffering wife Hilda)- both in the book form and on tv and Mortimer's writing never fails to make me smile, laugh and sometimes wince. Acually that should probably be 'many, many hours' as I look forward to re-reading the, each year with relish

Part of me says that Mortimer will be very much missed, another part acknowledges that he will never truly be gone so long as Rumpole remains alive for his fans.

Vale John Mortimer.

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm sad, too for Mortimer alwaysw saw the absurd side of things and had no time for the self-important.