Friday, January 2, 2009

Mountaingirl Grows Again

I have started a new process at work and while it isn't hard I am definitely being pushed outside my comfort zone.

I had to stop and think about my reaction at lunch time and realized that I usually sail through academic-style challenges. Physical things... well I suck at them but as I don't regard them as being important to me it is no big deal. But to find my mind being challenged (and making mistakes) is something that was really distressing me.

I have had a good deep think about it and I realize that my expectations of myself are too high - and I am beating myself up for things that newbies shouldn't be beating themselves up for.

We have a great system at work where newbies have all of their work checked - and up until now I have had 100% correct returns each day. I can live with that. But when I dropped to 57% on Wednesday it didn't sit well at all - I have never had a mark like that!

It really wasn't a big deal, I just needed to change some dates (easy mistake for a beginner) and it was all fixed - all of which I did on Wednesday. Similarily with the three things I needed to correct today.

All in all, it is okay. The world isn't collapsing, my job is not at risk, others are expereincing the same thing.

So am learning that less than 100% is okay while I am learning. I am learning to breathe deeply. And while I am learning my new work process, I am learning more about myself.

Art: "Deep Water" by thali-n

3 comments:

diver said...

Yep, it does sound like a case of what you said ... "I am beating myself up for things that newbies shouldn't be beating themselves up for."

pita-woman said...

While many of us strive for perfection, we find that often the only way to achieve that perfection is staying within our comfort zone. And stepping outside that c/z means the possibility of failure or others seeing our faults. But, if we never step outside that c/z, how can we grow and ever experience new things?
I envy you your recent changes & courage to seek out new employment. I think that's why I stay where I'm at, as I'm afraid of change & starting over. Cheers to you!!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I know what it's like to be "pushed outside your comfort zone" so I empathise. But it does sound as if you have the right attitude to it now. My motto is, "Stop beating yourself up - there are too many people willing to do it for you!" Have a very happy new year.