Monday, January 26, 2009

It Hasn't Been A Good Week

I must admit this week hasn't been the best on the mountain - not because anything has gone wrong but because my back has been worse than usual.

I live with strong back pain almost every day - and I must admit I have had a relatively good run recently - it has hurt but I have still been able to live. This week has been different.

My big rubbish bins are still out the front of the house cos I can't bring them in. I almost lost my garden because of the heat and not being able to water. I did take the hose out for 5 minutes yesterday morning but I wasn't sure I would make it back inside and when I did I just sat and cried. Today I am meant to be going out to visit friends but I can barely move - and it has been like that since I watered the garden yesterday.

This is not fun. I can't live like this because it isn't living. I know there are plenty of folks worse off than me - and I know that I will swing around to having a better run at some point. The Methodist in me keeps reminding me of those affected by the war in Palestine, or Dafur or Zimbabwe and demands that I stop feeling sorry for myself.
And I am feeling sorry for myself - I am in pain that I can't make go away. My latest plan is to self-medicate for the afternoon - a pity party if you will.

I know if "I just lost weight" I would have a lot of relief, but how can I lose weight when I can barely move?

I know I am feeling sorry for myself but I am also thinking that there has to be a better way - I just have no idea what it is ...
Photo: "Pain" by proverbios31

6 comments:

diver said...

Bummer MG, so sorry to hear this. Back pain is a well ... a pain. From my own experience I can only recommend self-medication to the max plus strapping on an encyclopedia. The 'Times Atlas of the World' works well too. Brace yerself luv!

Unknown said...

Oh babe, we missed you tonight, but gee i hope you are feeling better xo

pita-woman said...

MG, if anybody can sympathize & fully understand what you're going through, 'tis I! The pains I had off and on for years I did pretty much as you, self-medicated and took it easy 'til the pains passed. Then finally it got so bad I could barely get out of bed & finally went to a doctor. Discovered I had a herniated disc in my back. While I won't tell you I'm 100% better, I'm MUCH better than I was. Honestly luv, go see a doctor & insist on an MRI. It's the only way for them to properly treat the underlying problem.
Hope you feel better soon.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You have every right to feel sorry for yourself . Simi and I send hugs from Sicily xx

Alison said...

Sorry your in so much pain, MG. I think constant pain makes it really hard to see things in perspective, and I really admire the way your still aware of others hurting and of not 'complaining' yourself. You're a star!
I'm probably going to sound like a totally ignorant twit now, but have your tried drinking alkaline mineral water (the flat stuff, not the fizzy stuff)?
When I started drinking it (about 2 litres a day) I lots stacks of weight and that was the only thing that I changed.... I didn't do any more exercise or change my diet radically.... Just drank lots of good alkaline mineral water.
Something about restoring ph balance to the cells and helping the body get back to it's natural balance. Could also be to do with needing to pee every 30 seconds....
The water is supposed to be good for arthritis and back pain, too.

Jason said...

Last week we had 6 inches of snow here in St. Louis.

You are sooo lucky.