Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Moral Dilemma

A new friend has given me a present.

It is given out of the kindness of their heart and they have obviously put some effort into it. I really do appreciate that - and the thought behind it all. I just don't like the actual object ... at all.

I try to like it, but I don't. I know the present giver is going to expect feedback (they weren't there when I received it although they did tell me it was coming). I can honestly say something like "I really appreciate all the thought you put into it, you are a very generous person, thank you very much for the gift".

The dilemma is that I suspect that the theme of the gift will be repeated again, given the opportunity. How do I tell them that I genuinely do appreciate the intention, the thought, the time they put into it, all of those good things but I didn't like the actual gift?

Hmmm, if only this was the biggest problem facing the world today ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I have a brick covered with material and fake plastic flowers... I'll swap ya....

Guess it depends on the person and ya relationship with you...

Unknown said...

I'll tell you next time we chat - it is a sensitive one .... and yes I think I would swap my dilemma for the brick :-)