Friday, September 19, 2008

I Hate Hairdressers

No that isn't quite right, I hate having hairdressers (apart form Miss K from Geraldton) being ANYWHERE near my hair.

Now for some reason (like I lost my mind), yesterday I decided it was time to get a little style in my hair - after all it had been nearly four years since it had been near a salon. I did a little ringing around and found the name of a good local salon. I rang and arranged an appointment for today.

I walked in, was greeted by a fantastic apprentice offering magazines and coffee (yes to the first, no to the second). I had my hair washed, even though I had only washed it an hour before. I met my stylist. FYI - I love having my hair washed by someone else, it is one of my favorite things in the entire world!

Now forgive me if I am using technical terms here or very big words, for that might have been my downfall, but this is what I told the hairdresser "I haven't had a cut for ages and I need a bit of style. I don't want anything off the length and I don't want a fringe. The rest is up to you."

He discussed layering it a bit, commented on the curls and then got to work. It looked fine when I left the salon - lots of product in it but you get that.

Then I noticed as I walked to the car something was wrong ... very wrong. "Breathe deep" I instructed myself, "you are wrong, it's just because there are layers in it".

I got home and put off checking the inevitable for a couple of minutes - my hair is shorter - about two years worth of growth shorter. It has gone from being past my waist to being in the middle of my back.

I have screamed (internally), I have cried. I have thought about ringing him up and abusing him severely. I am soooooooooooooo terribly disappointed - and even more so because I know there is nothing that can be done to change it.

Now I remember why I stopped going to hairdressers - and will NEVER make the same mistake again.

3 comments:

pita-woman said...

Well love, just remember, It's hair and it will grow back. Remember, I was bald back in March (and again in May) and mine's now over 2" long (ready for another shaving I think).
But I am in agreement with you, I hate going to salons. They charge waaay too much for doing all the wrong things. And I'm never happy when I leave. That's why I stopped going and started cutting, er, make that SHAVING my own head. :)

Unknown said...

I love the way you just put things in perspective :-)

It is only hair, and it will grow back. It does actually look okay too - it is just the length that I am missing. And vanity isn't something I have ever really worried about.

Thanks Pita!

Anonymous said...

Mountaingirl,

One thing, if it's only hair then why is there a consistent pattern of hairdressers not listening to the customer. If I want to wear my hair down to my knees or I am in love with my split ends - what difference should it make to the stylist. It has been my experience that I am never satisfied with my cuts or styles and can't wait to get home to rewash my hair. It really burns after the intense barrage of being harrased to cut my hair and then to cut it not to my specifications. I recently have been seeing a stylist and made the mistake of commenting that my hair was growing out nicely - as I was there for chemical services (and this was not my first time being serviced by her), I ended up with damage to the back of my hair where all my nice new growth had taken place. This is a big deal and quite ridiculous. And I am done.