Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Changing World

I remembered yesterday that when I was young (I am guessing about 11) I went through a phase where I was fascinated about the Aztecs. Yes while other little girls were doing the pony and butterfly thing, I was into the Aztecs.

What amazes me most is that there was an entry in the school encyclopaedia, and another one the Britannica in the public library but that was all I had to go on. I am not really sure where I gleaned the rest of the information (I know I cross referenced 'obsidian' and 'sun' and the like) but I put together all I wanted to, or needed to know at that age.
Compare that to today when, with the click of a button I have the whole world of knowledge and information before me! (Okay, that is presuming I live in an area that has electricity, or that my school has access to a $100 computer).
And extend that out another 30 years - what does the educational future hold for Generation Z?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coincidently I watched a very good BBC documentary on the Aztecs just last night!

My daughter is in Grade 7 and each desk space in her class has a monitor and keyboard supplied by Mac. Everything the kids do involves the computer. They each have blogs, and the teacher can send them IM etc.

I can even check all of her assignments etc online. Its pretty cool, and I think is the way of the future. :)

BTW I'm going to add your link into my sidebar. :)