Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Celebrate This ....

I have noticed over the years that I don't "do" conventional celebrations anymore - I don't do Christmas, or Easter, I don't do my birthday, I avoid all forms of footballs and their grand finals with a passion, I haven't even done my Thanksgiving (focusing on being thankful instead of pilgrims) dinner for years. Hey I am even over New Years lol.

Part of this is convenience (I don't have kids), part of this is apathy and part of this is an internal change within me but as I have whittled away this day and that season I realize I have nothing left on the calendar.

There are many lunches or dinners that I have with friends through the year to rejoice at various birthdays, or to toast the actual friendship, or to just get together and these are great but I need a celebration.

I know there is the big 4-0 and I have said I will do something for that but I am wavering on the party idea. But I do want to celebrate it somehow...

But aside from that I want to have a celebration day that I can put on the calendar year after year. If I can't grab an existing day then I want to make up my own. I want to feast with friends, I want joy and laughter, I want to celebrate - I don't want the baggage of the small 'p' politics that exist with so many of the traditional days.

Now to come up with a plan ....

Photo: "Celebration of Lights" by tt83x

4 comments:

pita-woman said...

Speaking of birthdays...
Isn't your re-birth as "Pearl" right around this time? If so, then happy re-birthday.

I was thinking of you this morning while getting ready for work. There was an ad on tv for a guest speaker that is going to appear at a local church later this month. You frequently have quotes from this person posted on your site. Care to take a wild guess who it is?? I'll give you a hint, it's a woman.

Unknown said...

I got soooo excited I couldn't type for a moment - are you serious? Would you go for me, no I can't even write that, but ....


oooooh lol

And yes the re-birthday is about now (ah that explains a few things referring to one of today's posts), never could narrow it down to a date but this is the season lol.

pita-woman said...

If I can find a friend or family member to go with me (don't want to go alone) and if there are still tickets available, I'd love to go.

Unknown said...

It is all good either way lol - I love a good vicarious experience but please don't put yourself out :-)