Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Skin Starvation

One of the biggest problems of being an independent, single woman is skin starvation.

Now I am guessing that most of you will need that explaining - you rarely get to touch other people. Now I am not talking about personal or sexual touching, just literally a human touch - touching hands while passing someone a coffee, a quick kiss goodbye in the morning, a touching of the bodies in the hallway.




As a single person with no kids, I doubt I would have touched another human being for more than 2 minutes (total) in the last fortnight - and the month before that would have been the same. Sometimes I just want to touch someone - a hug, a holding of hands, just something ...



Art: "toUch" by supergrass

5 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Mg, you have "touched" a chord with me. I know exactly how you feel. Most people take touching for granted. They don't even have to think about it. Italy is a more tactile country than the UK and you touch everyone in greeting here. But in less tactile societies the single childless can feel very isolated because of this. It is a form of sensory deprivation.

Rainbow dreams said...

Touch is such an important thing... and you're right it is something so many people take for granted...skin on skin says so much. Hugs do too. Perhaps we do have things to learn from countries like Italy...

musik-addikt said...

I know how you feel, I crave human touch, I was thinking I was the only one but obviously not.


Hugz for you

xx

Miriam Cutelis said...

I notice when I feel this way that I place more emphasis on looks, smells and words.....I loved your description thought....perfect....


Mir

Unknown said...

The skin starvation is still current but I must admit I have been paying more attention to my other senses this week - smell particularly. I think we might my onto something Miriam.