Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bushfires


It has been a tough week in Australia - while the floods continue to cause considerable damage up north, there has been the ongoing fire tragedy down south. With over 180 people dead and complete downs that have been wiped off the map, it is impossible to imagine what those most affected have been going through.

Every time I think about blogging it I have wept. I know that sounds pathetic - I mean I have no friends involved, nor have I ever even visited the affected areas. But it is how I am responding.

We have a fundraiser at work tomorrow so that gives me something practical to focus on. On top of that, over $40 million has already been raised by Australians, with funds also coming in from foreign governments to help those who have lost everything.
There are no words, there is no way to say "I understand".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tis bone achingly sad.. :(

Unknown said...

distressingly so, although i am committed to continuing to do whatever i can...it's overwhelming really..

steveroni said...

Through A'Jay I come...and understand. And I can weep also, and that is not pathetic, for it leads me to humbly pray to my Higher Power.

And I ask the Spirit to help me understand in a more understanding way, and to have mercy on those suffering souls, which could at any time be any one of us.

Like your blog.

Steve E.

Unknown said...

Thanks Steve ... and here's hoping that tomorrow isn't another day of hell ... the weather isn't looking good though ....