Sunday, February 7, 2010

Kewl Kids Sunday - Riddle Me This, Riddle Me That

Okay I have been away, have had lots of thinking time and am trying so hard to stump the Kewl Kids so today I am going to try riddles. There are 5 in the challenge - I am hoping I can stump you on at least one!

1 What English words keeps it's pronunciation even if you take away four of its five letters?

2 A basket contains 5 apples, how do you divide them among 5 kids so each kids gets an apple and one apple stays in the basket?

3 What is so unusual about: "Gatsby was walking back from a visit down in Branton Hill's manufacturing district on a Saturday night. A busy day's traffic had had its noisy run; and with not many folks in sight, His Honor got along without having to stop to grasp a hand, or talk; for a mayor out of City Hall is a shining mark for any politician. And so, coming to Broadway, a booming bass drum and sounds of singing, told of a small Salvation Army unit carrying on amidst Broadway's night shopping crowds. Gatsby, walking towards that group, saw a young girl, back toward him, just finishing a long, soulful oration ... "  The above passage is taken from the book "Gatsby" written by Ernest Vincent Wright in the late 1930's

4 A word I know, six letters it contains, take away one and twelve remains. What am I?

5 The following number is the only one of its kind: 8,549,176,320. Can you figure out what is so special about it?

Please tell me you get stumped (at least a little bit) or else I will have to bring out the very big guns lol

2 comments:

Alison said...

We love Kewl Kid Saturdays at MG's!

Ok...

We know 2 answers to number 1, queue and one other - do you know the other?

For number 2, we think we'd just give the 5th child their apple in the basket.

Number 3 is a cool paragraph, and there are no e's in the whole thing!

Number 4 is dozens! (that was a bit easy)

Number five we had to write down to work out - all the numbers are in alphabetical order!

Unknown said...

LOL .... okay I am going to have to try harder next week lol. I will stump the Kewl Kids ... one day :-)

I am guessing your second answer to number one is "aitch".