Monday, December 28, 2009

The Search for an Agent


I had decided that after Christmas I would start my search for an agent and while I understand that most everybody will be closed this week coming, I have just spend more than two hours looking for leads, addresses, information ... well anything really.

The result? Well I the names of four potentials in Australia - although as I am looking for an agent for my columns (and not my current book) I think I have only one real option. That doesn't fill me with confidence .... it is a bit cocky to think that a beginner will walk into one agency, they will immediately pick you up and then find you a publisher.

I have started looking at UK, US, South African, New Zealand and Canadian publishers but that looks just as hard.

Ok I admit I am feeling a little over-whelmed and am doubting myself a little but (pulling myself together) ...

  • I have always wanted to do this - it isn't a passing whim 
  • I may as well give it a go 
  • I have just as much chance as anyone else who is a beginner 
  • I have had work published (in a national magazine as well as state newspapers between the ages of 15 - 19 ... and I got paid for most of it - so there must be some talent in there)
  • and, apart form some pride I have nothing to lose.

So, the research will continue and I will be ready when everyone re-opens after the festive break. Someone hand me a cardboard sign "Be published or bust" lol

Photo: "In search of .." by Lukreszja

No comments: