Monday, May 18, 2009

Mine or Yours?

My definition of stealing is: to take something that is not yours, without permission. I am sure that dictionaries - both regular and legal - may offer something different, or comprehensive, but I am going on my own definition for today.

On Saturday while sitting on the sofa I watched, with my jaw dropped, a young woman lean over from my neighbors mail box and steal one of my last azaleas. Admittedly it took her a couple of minutes but I was in too much shock to actual move or call out to her.

I then spent the next 15 minutes angry at it all. Okay I hadn't taken the photos of the flower that I wanted to - I was waiting for the golden light of afternoon to come across - but life goes on. I also knew that if she had've just knocked on the door and asked I would have taken the secateurs and cut the flower for her. So what was I most upset about?

As it was she and another friend, with large bunches of flowers came by the house again. This time I took advantage of the opportunity to let her know that I had seen her steal the flower and next time she should ask rather than just take. Both of them appeared stunned at the thought (was it because they were flowers in a garden rather than rings in a jewellers) but were polite enough to listen to me.

And in many ways that ended that. Except I still can't work out what offended me .... after all it was just a flower.



Photo: "Stealing" by cilium

4 comments:

diver said...

Well, definitely not 'hers'!

Though, philosophically speaking, I wonder if it actually counts as 'yours' either? It's a conundrum MG. Still, she was out of line ripping it off and you did well to shorten her up for it.

pita-woman said...

I'd have been upset too.
We (gardeners) work hard to raise our floral fauna and are certainly delighted when others comment on the beauty of our plants/flowers and we don't mind the fruits of our labors with others if asked. But ripping the flower from the bush without asking(even if for her enjoyment) in effect ruined it's appearance & your hard work, and what's to say she didn't damage the branch when she broke off the flower? It amounts to vandalism as well as stealing.
You're justified in your anger.

Unknown said...

I know you are generous to all you meet, your kind regard is one of the things I love most about you, I am sorry they didn't realise that you would have shared the flower with them had they asked...their loss xo

Anonymous said...

Just this week I had a woman at the door asking if she could take some of my rosemerry for cuttings, so I grabbed some scissors and gave her a big bunch...

Had I came out and she was just taking them Id say we'd both be embarrassed, as it was I met a new neighbour.

Im with Pita, a good garden takes alot of work and care. I can remember my Gran constantly having people stop, admire, discuss and share with her...

Na she could of asked especially being the last one...