Sunday, April 27, 2008

Wadgila Girl


When I grew up we didn't have Kooris - they were on the east coast. I grew up on Noongar ("oo" pronounced as in "book", not as in "moon") country and as such I was a wadgila (white person) - hopefully the spelling is about right.

I say this because I have spent time getting to know the different words of different language over on this side of the country but I haven't heard a word for "white person". Not that it would matter, I heard an interview the other day that was talking about Noongars and wadgilas and my heart skipped. I felt a belonging. No matter where I roam, I am a wadgila!

And this has nothing to do with declaring myself to be "white", it is the identification with a word that I have grown up with; a name that I didn't realize fits me until now - just as much as Mountaingirl; it is part of my culture, of who I am, of where I come from.

Does any of this make sense?

Art: "Yongas" by Basil Hart

2 comments:

Vickie said...

I am just getting to know these terms. Culture and identity go hand-in-hand. In nature, culture is essential for survival. Biologists refer to it as ecology, but its the same.
I love Basil Hart's vibrant art. I wish more of his art was displayed on his page.

Unknown said...

I am trying to get formal permission to post more of his work - it is just incredible. And if I can get find if his work is displayed online somewhere else, I will certainly let you know :-)