Saturday, February 16, 2008

Strange Fruit

Southern trees bear strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze,
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.

Pastoral scene of the gallant south,
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh,
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh.

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck,
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop,
Here is a strange and bitter crop.

Lyrics by Lewis Allen, made famous by Billie Holiday (and a myriad of other artists)

4 comments:

Tex's Missus said...

Gosh I love lyrics like that - they are pure poetry....of all the things I wish I could do, at the top of my list is the desire to be able to craft prose that melted hearts and moved people .....I should stop with the shoulda's and get on with the coulda's ... :)

Unknown said...

What's that saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Well bah humbug. Words are incredibly powerful.

This song always makes me cry, while other words can soothe, or make me laugh, or let me know I am loved.

I'm with you Miss TM in wishing for a greater skill, craftsmanship, with my use of words. A skill that develops over a lifetime I guess :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I always loved that song and it always scared the hell out of me, because of course it portrays just how bad things were in those worst of days. Thank you for reminding us of it.

Unknown said...

You are most welcome Welshcakes (well sort of if you know what I mean) one of the most incredible songs ever sung - just such a revolting topic but, as you said, one that we shouldn't forget